Saturday, December 27, 2008

Kennedy Meets the Press

"I think that I have relationships in Washington that I would like to put to work to benefit the people of New York."

Caroline Kennedy is beginning to make her case through the media why she should be New York's next junior U.S. Senator.

She started sitting down for interviews with news organizations Friday. One of the first was with NY1's "Inside City Hall" host Dominic Carter.


In the 30-minute conversation, Kennedy challenged those who believe she's running on her family's name.

"If my last name weren't Kennedy, maybe I would have run for office a long time ago."

What would her mother Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis make of her daughter being interested in the senate?

“She would roll her eyes about the whole thing,” added Kennedy. “I think she would really be proud that I was doing this”

And her late brother, John F. Kennedy Jr.?

"He would be laughing his head off." Kennedy also talked about how New York Congressman, Gary Ackerman comparing her to a celebrity like Jennifer Lopez. Kennedy takes a liking to J-Lo. "I admire the journey J-Lo has traveled. I've been to a school in the Bronx near the house she grew up in and so I actually have a lot of admiration for her and she looks pretty good but in terms of public policy and as we spend our adult lives and I don't think there is really much we have in common.”

But Kennedy does admit she has made mistakes, like not voting in several elections.

"There isn't a good excuse."

Kennedy does add she's looking forward to the hard grunt work often associated with elected office, saying of the state's senior senator

"I could race Chuck Schumer around all 62 counties and, you know, we'll see who wins.”


Kennedy told the Associated Press Friday she knows she need to prove herself and work twice as hard as others in the Senate to do so.

Is that enough for you? Or David Paterson?

No comments: